12 Crafty Days of Christmas {Day 10}: Pillow Case

Welcome to {Day 10} of the 12 Crafty Days of Christmas here at Happily Mother After!

Happily Mother After

If you missed any of the previous crafts, you can catch up with the rest of us 
by taking a look {over here}.

Wow! I can't believe we are already at {Day 10} of this "12 Crafty Days" series!  I hope you guys have been enjoying all the wonderful crafts that our guest bloggers have been so graciously sharing, and I hope that you have become inspired to create some of these for your own family.

Today we have another special guest blogger, Jennifer from Sunny Vanilla.  Jen and I have one thing {among others} in common that makes me smile from ear to ear.  We married our high school sweethearts {both are baldies now. Ha!}.  

But besides our love for high school boys our HS sweethearts, we both have a love for all things creative {as I'm sure is true of you if you are keeping up with this series}.  But Jen is way ahead of me on the creative outlets scoreboard.  She loves photography, design, interior decorating, crafting, cooking, writing, and sewing.  

She's here now to share with us something sew cute...


*************************************************************

Hi there!  My name is Jen and I blog over at Sunny Vanilla.
 http://sunnyvanilla.blogspot.com/

I am a wife, a mom, and a lover of all things crafty. I started sewing as a teenager, but really didn't do much with it until I decided to leave the working world to stay at home with my daughter. Since then I've been addicted!


I'm happy to be here with you all today to share a fun and easy little tutorial.  

Last month, a group of crafty and talented gals got together to sew several Christmas themed pillowcases for the cancer unit at a local children's hospital.  We had such a great time!  It was truly a feel-good project and to top it off, the pillowcases turned out wonderful.  So nice, in fact, I decided to make a couple for our home.



There are lots of great tutorials online for pillowcases you can find here, here, and here.  There are also lots of Christmas prints on sale now at your local fabric store, so it's a good time to try out this project.


Materials:
3/4 yd. Christmas print for main body
1/3 yd. Christmas print for trim
thread
scissors

First take your 3/4 yd. of fabric and fold it in two.  Cut a rectangle that's 20.5 x 26 in.   Set aside.



Now take your trim fabric, fold it in two and cut it 20.5 x 11 in.  Unfold the fabric and refold it lengthwise {like a hotdog}. You will have one long piece of 41 in. x 5.5 in.




Now unfold the main body portion of the pillowcase and align the raw edge with the raw edges from your long piece of trim.  Here's what it should look like:




Sew a 1/2 in. seam.  When you sew your raw edges, you can use a zig zag stitch to prevent fraying.  




Open seam and press with an iron.




Now take your fabric and place the right sides together.  Sew a 1/2 in. seam on your two open sides.




Flip your pillowcase right side out and now you have a beautiful Christmas themed pillowcase.




I'd love to "meet" all of you!  You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, or my blog.

Thanks for hanging out with me today!  I hope you have fun with this project!!!

-Jen

********************************************************
Thank you so much, Jen, for sharing this cute little pillow case tutorial with us.  It seems so easy if you know what you are doing with a Singer.  Sewing is definitely something I have the desire to learn but have yet to take the time to actually figure out. Ahh...One day though.

Besides making pillow cases, Jen has been designing other adorable Christmas thingies such as this Whimsical Christmas Tree Garland from old sweaters.  I'm telling you, this girl is crafty.  Go check her out. 

~~~~~~~~
Be sure to check back tomorrow for {Day 11} of the 12 Crafty Days of Christmas series.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for having me over today Lauren!!! I hope your readers liked it.

    BTW, Laughed out loud about our bald husbands ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I L.O.V.E each and every comment. Keep them coming!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...